Saturday, October 9, 2010

So much to say...

A lot has happened since my last post, including Buddy being a ROCKSTAR at the SIUC Intercollegiate Hunt Show. He was ridden 5-6 times a day by total strangers, flat and jumping, and always placed. The first day he got 2 first place ribbons on the flat and the 2nd day he got 2 second place ribbons in jumping. Lauren Greeno even schooled him over open heights (2'9") though he was only required to jump 2'3"-2'6" for the show. I had 3 representatives from different teams come up to me and tell me that their team voted Buddy as their favorite horse for the weekend, someone brought him an apple, girls were feeding him peppermints, and I had at least 10 people ask to take pictures with him because they'd never been that close to a Mustang before. He could not have made me any more proud :)






Though my back is still iffy, I've been trying to keep him in shape any way I can without souring us both, so I lunged him in the round pen today. He HATES being lunged, and never cantered while being lunged the entire time I worked with him in DeKalb. I could literally chase him and or whip him with the lunge whip and he wouldn't flinch, just trot frantically. I think he was so suppressed from having a mental block on every single thing he did he just locked down and shut the world out. Now he canters by choice, but sometimes feels a little too good and gets sassy... He kept wanting to stop by the gate to the roundpen, which doesn't help that its closest to the barn/pasture, so I'd put the pressure on around that side, which is why he'd get sassy. And he doesn't let his hocks trail behind and have his head up like a giraffe when there's a rider on him. I'm just happy to see him cut loose, and yet come back to me and listen so well.



No comments:

Post a Comment