A friend of mine, Melanie, contacted me and was interested in getting back into riding after having a long while off. When the horse in her life many years ago was abruptly taken out of her life, it crushed her, and she got very emotional even coming to my schooling show this past May. She's now determined to get back into riding and the SIUC riding class was already full. I had her come out to see Buddy and maybe get on him today. I was so nervous because he's been such a terror about the mares, but he's been consistently PERFECT under saddle and while being handled, so I took the gamble. He could not have been more of an angel. Stood like a statue while she groomed and tacked him up. Didn't scream once. Not antsy at all. Blinked. Licked. Chewed. Took peppermints from her hand and licked her fingers clean. Soooo proud of him. I rode him around for about two minutes to be sure he was definitely "with me" under saddle and he was almost lazy. So I had her get on and remember about steering and brakes, then I hooked the lunge line up to him to start working on trotting. Buddy has never done a lunge lesson with a rider on board as far as I know. He was a model citizen. Melanie was actually pretty good for not having ridden in like 5 years and when she stopped riding, she had only cantered a handful of times. She had really good independence of her body to her hands/arms and didn't grip or pull on the reins if she felt off balance. Her posting was in perfect rhythm, she just has to work on leg strength. He even handled a little bit of cantering, but I could tell he was getting frustrated that her rhythm was off with his and he'd quit after maybe one lap around on the lunge line. Again, sssooo proud of him.
After her little lesson, I grazed him out in the same place I did the day before to see if he was still as distracted and upset. Totally ignored the geldings, didn't even care to face the pasture, and mowed the damn lawn down. Fed him his mash in his stall and there was absolutely no nervousness. Lots of deep breaths. After he ate I pet him quietly in his stall, massaging his withers, neck, shoulders, softly touched his face. He nearly fell asleep. Once he was totally relaxed he walked out and in and out of his stall with me only having 2 fingers on his lead rope. I walked him all the way back out to within 15 feet of the herd to turn him out and he turned, got a drink, and calmly walked back to them and started grazing.
I went back tonight to ride myself with Jasper and refill supplements, and when I pulled up he was grazing in a circle with all the other geldings, totally ignoring the mares. Gina called me after feed time just to tell me how good he was. He was actually the last one in for feed time, sauntered to his stall, ate every bite, and sauntered back out to pasture after she opened his gate, NO trotting. When I turned him out after riding him tonight I walked him out to the herd, and it was the same attitude. Got a drink, and walked back out to the pasture straight to the herd to graze. Only a few dirty looks and ear pinning. Day 4= success. I'm finally sleeping at night again and the stomach aches have gone away. When my horse is happy and balanced, my world turns again.
Sidenote: My amazing friend Jasper just got a job with a feed store that deals exclusively with Purina feeds and she can get amazing deals and coupons for whatever we may need. I've been comparing and contrasting the different feed choices for days, and after talking with Jasper and getting such a glowing recommendation from Mere, I'm gonna put Buddy on Ultium Competition. Its a little more expensive, but I'm hoping to be able to feed less of it than I am with his current mix, plus it has Amplify in it so I won't have to buy $40 50lbs bags of that anymore. And if he ever needs a boost for weight back, I know what works. But I really think this stuff is balanced enough that it'll really keep his weight on. Can't wait to give it a try, especially if I've got coups ;)

The last picture I took from my car as I drove away from Buddy Monday afternoon before he moved to the new property. I wanted to remember that moment forever, how perfectly happy, healthy, and balanced he was. I promise I will always try to recreate this feeling for you for the rest of your life, Bud. No fear, no fences, nobody... no reins. I promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment